Shakespeare will be performed in the Quiet Garden in Queen’s Park for the fourth year running next year. The play will be A Midsummer Night’s Dream and the date is Saturday June 22 2019. More details will be available at the Shakespeare in the Squares website nearer the time, but for now, it’s a date for next year’s diary.
Back in March QPARA made donations of £1,000 each to seven organisations supporting the local community. See this item for more information. One of the organisations is Shakespeare in the Squares, a not-for-profit touring theatre company that will stage a Shakespeare play in London garden squares for one night in each venue every Summer.
The 2016 production is Much Ado About Nothing.The production will be a creative, ambitious, site-responsive project that places this remarkable play at the heart of the communities to which it travels, in the great tradition of Shakespearean touring companies. The play will be set at the end of the First World War and the action transferred to the venues where it is performed. The sense of community within the play will be echoed by a night of music, celebration and food.The performance in Quuen’s Park will start at 7pm on Saturday 2nd July. Tickets are available now.
At our meeting on Thursday night we agreed to donations of £1,000 each to seven local groups, organisations & charities.
Here is the list of groups with links to their websites:
1. Ark Franklin Primary Academy – Building raised timber planting boxes in the school garden
2. Brent Centre for Young People – Cost for 2 young people to undergo Adolescent Exploratory Therapy
3. Friends of Salusbury School – Providing more green and Astroturf areas in the playground
4. Queen’s Park Junior Singers – Contributing towards cost of making an audio recording of The Happy Prince
5. Real Action – Teacher training costs (1 teacher) to give Butterfly Literacy training to volunteers
6. Salusbury World – Mini bus hire & petrol for the annual outing and contribution towards the Winter party for 90 refugee children
7. Shakespeare in the Squares – towards the production costs of performing Much Ado About Nothing in Queen’s Park in Summer 2016
QPARA is a not for profit organisation. If, at the end of each financial year there are surplus funds, we invite applications for donations from these from local charities, groups and not for profit organisations in line with our aims to support the local community.